Sunday, February 25, 2007

The modern myth

Both Kidd and Woodward describe the significance of the uniforms worn by Superman and Wonder Woman. Both writers make it clear that the uniform has many meanings and that the uniform is fitting, seeing as how the one's who wear the uniforms are the potential heroes of mankind.

It is safe to say that both authors have read comic books, and have a great deal of respect for these fictional characters. "I always hate it whenever Superman's outfit is referred to as a costume." (Kidd 553) Well, I can agree with that. I think that superheros don't get the real attention they deserve. People see superheroes save man from impending doom on a daily basis. Most see superheros as an outlet, thrilling action and escape from reality, but the message is lost in translation. We create superheroes because we feel a need as a whole to be rescued. Rescued from various super villains that are present in life. These super villains are often other people, sometimes super genius humans, sometimes catastrophic events caused by humans, or whatnot. I guess I am just rambling. The question I was trying to answer is how the authors got their points across differently. Well, it is easy to see that the authors believe that superheros don't get the respect they deserve. I don't necessarily have to read two essays to understand this point. The superhero is a symbol of strength and unity. I mean c'mon, "Truth, Justice, and the American way." Maybe super patriotic, but in essence, words that define a way of living. Words that represent a way of thinking. And where did these words come from? Certainly not from any politician, but from a made up being. A thing from another planet that if did not have superpowers, and a solid upbringing, would not have been looked at with the same respect he receives today. Lets not forget about the other things, the voluptuous/sculpted bodies behind the skintight uniform. "Clothes hug the curves of the body fantastic, both as a way to ignite sexual fires in adolescent readers, and to signify a branding of the flesh." (Woodward 558) This screams freedom of sexuality, and ultimate beauty, without hinting at extreme vanity in any way. There are morals behind the superhero. Superheros make us feel safe, they remind us that good can triumph over evil.

1 comment:

zencartwheels said...

OK - good analysis. But also, more specifically, the authors use different and simialr strategies - such as quoting, historical information, comparisons, other famous icons and so on...